Governor Kathy Hochul today announced that New York State’s Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Business program has reached a significant milestone, with more than 1,000 certified SDVOBs now active.
“We owe our veterans tremendous gratitude for their service and for the sacrifices they and their families have made,” Governor Hochul said. “New York State’s Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Business program honors our service-disabled veterans by offering them opportunities to grow their businesses. I’m proud to announce this wonderful achievement — more than 1,000 certified companies active in New York State — proving that Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Business are a growing force in our State’s economy.”
“Our veterans are our nations heroes and it is incumbent upon us to ensure that when they leave the service of our country that our country continues to support them as they pursue businesses of their own,” said Lieutenant Governor Antonio Delgado. “I encourage all New Yorkers to support veteran-owned businesses in their purchase of goods and services.”
New York State Office of General Services Commissioner Jeanette Moy said, “Today we are excited to join Governor Hochul in announcing the significant milestone that has been reached in our State’s SDVOB program. This important initiative has flourished under the Governor’s leadership and through the hard work and dedication of OGS’s veteran-led Division of Service-Disabled Veterans’ Business Development.”
The Division of Service-Disabled Veterans’ Business Development was created within OGS following the enactment of The Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Busines Act, which was signed into law on May 12, 2014. The Act allows eligible business owners to get certified as an SDVOB and encourages and supports eligible SDVOBs to play a greater role in the State’s economy by increasing their participation in the State’s contracting opportunities.
The Act promotes and encourages the participation of Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Businesses in the State’s public procurements of public works, commodities, services, and technology to foster and advance economic development in New York State. The Act established a 6 percent participation goal for SDVOBs on State contracts.
State agencies’ annual utilization of SDVOBs has grown from approximately $16 million in payments to certified companies in 2016 to nearly $190 million in 2021 and is on track to exceed $200 million by the end of the current fiscal year.
To celebrate this significant milestone, OGS created a video that places a spotlight on three SDVOB success stories from across New York State. Featured in the video are Division of Service-Disabled Veterans’ Business Development Executive Director Ken Williams and the owners of three State-certified SDVOBs:
- Grey O. Nina, CEO and founder of G & J Leading Construction Inc., a general construction company located in the Bronx. Since receiving her NYS SDVOB certification, Nina has seen her company’s annual revenues from government and private sector work grow from $14,000 to $8 million in a few years.
- Darius Myles, President and CEO of DMYLES Inc., a general contractor located in Niagara Falls, NY. Myles has seen tremendous growth in his company. Bringing in approximately $500,000 in his first year as a certified SDVOB, he expects to have revenues from public and private sector work of between $8 million and $9 million this year.
- Ty Thoeny, the owner of WeldStream, LLC, a provider of steel fabrications and piping solutions located in Ballston Spa, NY. Thoeny’s company hit the ground running when he received his certification three years ago and has seen his business triple in size.
OGS also announced that the following 12 businesses were recently certified, which brings the total number of active SDVOBs to more than 1,000:
- Sellsword Solutions, LLC, located in Rockville Centre, NY, provides general construction services.
- Versa Technologies LLC, located in Long Beach, NY, is an engineering and planning firm.
- Union Industries Inc., located in Rockville Centre, NY, provides renovation and demolition services.
- 2 Forest Park Lane, LLC, located in New York City, is a hospitality and baked goods company.
- Tactical Home Inspections, located in West Seneca, NY, provides concrete flatwork.
- Veterans Healthcare Supply Solutions, Inc., located in Jacksonville, Florida, is a medical product wholesaler
- VETS Hardware LLC, located in Long Beach, NY, is a carpentry contractor.
- TrillaMed LLC, located in Bingham Farms, Michigan, is a medical supply distribution company.
- Brownies Brand LLC, located in Slingerlands, NY, sells cannabidiol (CBD) products and accessories
- MEI Mail Services, Corp., located in Farmers Branch, Texas, provides courier services.
- 212Carpet Installation Inc., located in New Hyde Park, NY, is a commercial flooring contractor.
- NYCON Diamond & Tools Corp., located in Ronkonkoma, NY, sells and repairs construction materials and equipment.
Visit ogs.ny.gov/veterans to learn more about the OGS Division of Service-Disabled Veterans’ Business Development, get certified, and view a directory of certified businesses.